Bio in brief
Mark Watson is an award winning producer and musician who has achieved both national and international success in diverse areas from albums, TV shows, commercials, theatre music soundtracks and chart topping releases.
He has also produced hundreds of albums for other budding and successful artists in all genres – rock, jazz, heavy metal, electronica, children’s music, country, pop, gospel, classical and rnb. Add to this voice over and sound effects work for Movie World, Sea World, Wet n Wild and Dream World Amusement Parks. He has also contributed original composition/orchestration for the Australian Outback Spectacular. Mark has also written and produced music for Live Shows currently touring in Abu Dhabi, Philippines and Singapore.
As the only Australian signed to the world famous European label – Cafe del Mar, Mark’s track “Long Flight Home” (which appeared on Cafe del Mar Vol XV1), went #1 in Spain and in the top 10 in several European countries on the iTunes charts!
Mark has since had a dozen more releases in Europe on multiple labels, including Sony Europe, a few of which have been included with compilations that have charted. The compilation “Erotic Lounge 9” ranked # 1 in the Euro iTunes Electronic charts which included his track “Somewhere Else”. Sony music compilation “Campari Sunset Chill-out” entered the German Chill-out Charts at #1 which included his track, “Train of thought”.
Below are listed more significant awards and performances that Mark has achieved:
• Keyboard product specialist for ROLAND keyboards – nationwide performances, clinics and training videos.
• Guest artist – Fashion TV 3rd anniversary.
• Toured with Dire Straits in their support band, performing in front of stadium crowds of up to 60,000.
• Performed for Sir Richard Branson at his Makepeace Island media launch.
• Wrote and produced “Children to Champions”, an Orchestral piece for the Canadian Olympic trials.
• Co-wrote and produced the music for Ch 9’s TV show “This Is Your Life” with Eddie McGuire.
• Produced the soundtrack for Honda’s ASIMO robot live tour.
• Guest Masterclass presenter at Griffith University.
• Long term resident entertainer at the Sheraton Mirage – Gold Coast.
• Original song “Rescued” was awarded a “Finalist” position for the 2014 International Song Competition.
• Original song “Rescued” was awarded a “semi-finalist” position for the 2013 International Song Competition.
• Original song “Cadenza” was awarded a “semi-finalist” position for the 2012 ISC.
• Numerous television performances.
Mark studied piano from a young age under the late Ivan Fosello, who was the pianist with the world famous Mantovani Orchestra. Studying both Classical and Jazz genre’s, Mark achieved his grades through the Trinity College of London.
Mark’s father was a prolific and respected pastor and as a teenager, Mark played organ and piano as well as musically directed the musicians for the church. Initially performing as a soloist and with local groups around the Gold Coast he achieved runner up on the TV talent show, New Faces hosted by Darryl Summers and judged by Molly Meldrum, John English and Jacky Love as well as performing on the Danny LaRue variety television show.
Due to family reasons, he moved to New Zealand where he was asked to join the band The Satellite Spies, who achieved three top ten hits and toured as support for Dire Straits on their New Zealand tour with audiences of up to 60,000 people. During his two year stay in New Zealand he appeared as a performer on NZTV Variety shows as well as wrote and produced National advertising campaign jingles for major organisations such as RNZAF, Michael Hill and Diahatsu.
Again, due to family, he returned to Australia where he played with various acts, from duo’s through to big bands as well as working in Brisbane Studios as a writer and programmer such as the then famous Suite Sixteen and held a residency at Jupiters Casino as a performer, all the time expanding his knowledge of the music industry.
While performing solo at the prestigious Sheraton Hotel on the Gold Coast as resident pianist and singer for thirteen years, Mark was constantly asked to assist other musicians in their musical careers, and eventually it became obvious that he should set up his own recording studio, which he did in 1996 and named it “Studio Proof”. At that time he also became music producer for Village Road Show Theme Parks and has written and produced many successful works since then for Warner Brothers, DC Comics and Cartoon Network to name a few.
This eventually lead to being recruited by the Roland organisation as a Keyboard Specialist with the role of demonstrating new products around Australia at Music Technology Clinics. He has produced many instructional videos on different Roland synth and keyboard products and to date still has the highest number of hits for Roland Australasia!